SPRING is a farm-level add-on which helps producers, retailers, and traders demonstrate their commitment to sustainable water management and can be implemented together with the GLOBALG.A.P. IFA standard for Crops. SPRING incorporates a wide range of criteria to assess sustainable water management on the farm. These include:
- Legal conformity of water sources and extraction rates
- Monitoring of water consumption
- Impact of producers on sustainable watershed management
- Best practices in water management
- Protection of water sources
- Measures to demonstrate continuous improvement of water management
Producers who successfully implement the SPRING add-on receive a certificate of conformity, which is also visible in the GLOBALG.A.P. database. Authorized supply chain stakeholders can also access the full audit report as a “SPRING observer” via the GLOBALG.A.P. database.